Sunday, February 28, 2010

Pregnancy Update


It's been 4 weeks since the last belly shot, so I guess this one is sometime between 8 and 45 weeks.

In general this pregnancy has been pretty good. I'm showing earlier, but I don't mind. I think I was this size around 7 months with Margaret. I was small for a lot of that pregnancy until the very end. Even my neighbor didn't know I was pregnant until 2 months before Margaret's due date. This time, it's noticeable. People are actually asking me about it now. I guess that means I'm past the "Is she pregnant or just eating too much ice cream?" stage. I really like this. It means that buying maternity clothes is actually worth it, since I'll get real use out of them.

I didn't throw up at all this pregnancy, and unless I get a huge wiff of apple cider vinegar when I wash my hair, I'm not nauseous anymore. I also didn't have any of the migraines I had with Margaret. They were so bad last time I thought I was going to have a stroke. I would lose the feeling in half my tongue, one of my hands, and the vision in one eye. I was also teaching at the time, and it was a fun challenge to pretend I could see the whole class when I really couldn't.

But no migraines this time! Very nice. What do I have this time? Well, to start I'm hungry and thirsty ALL THE TIME. I still have a good enough supply that Margaret asks to nurse every couple of hours still and I know I have some. If she goes more than a few hours without nursing, I can definitely feel fullness indicating I'm still making something, but it's not as much as I used to. Breastfeeding during pregnancy means I should probably be getting as many calories as someone expecting multiples. We've had to greatly alter our grocery budget because of my hunger. Margaret is also eating a lot more solids because of my lower supply, so we have to buy her more food, too. While it's hard to increase that budget, I try to remember that we haven't paid anything towards our maternity deductible and that eating well should count as prenatal care. Diet is a big factor in pregnancy health. Buying good food, while expensive, will be worth it in the long run.

Despite the fact that my eating habits are better this time around, I'm lacking in exercise. Last pregnancy, I was working and was always on my feet. This winter has been a lot of staying home. I look forward to the busyness of our move and being in a new place with more opportunities to be outside. I've been trying to get Margaret out to the park as much as possible, but it's been kind of dreary. It is February, after all.

My biggest complaint this time is round ligament pain. I didn't have this at all with Margaret until after she was born. A lot of my rough postpartum recovery was round ligament pain, and apparently my ligaments weren't done healing before I got pregnant again. I've been having this regularly since my first trimester and I'm not sure what to do about it. I've increased my red raspberry leaf tea intake, but RRL is supposed to help improve your uterine muscle tone- I don't know if it does anything for the ligaments holding it all in place. I need to look into some exercises. Lying on my right side aggravates the round ligament pain and makes it hard to get up, but that's the side Margaret prefers to nurse on for naps and bed times. Pillows in between my knees don't really help.

I also have a vertebrae out of place in my lower back which pinches a nerve a lot. I sometimes have a hard time putting weight on my right leg because of the combination of that pinched nerve and my round ligament pain. Unfortunately, we don't have the money for a chiropractor right now.

Last night I peed in a cup to check for protein and such for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised that I'm doing well in that aspect. I thought maybe my pains were a symptom of some nutritional aspect I'd been forgetting, but apparently not. The baby had a heart beat of 145 bpm last night and I feel it kick regularly. My placenta is apparently posterior, but I think I heard a couple of whooshes last night. It's being evasive. It's not low, so I'm not worried about previa.

In all, I'm doing pretty well. No migraines, no nausea. Just some really bad round ligament pain. Any suggestions for that? When I google it, I'm just told to take some Tylenol. I'd rather treat the cause than hide the symptoms, you know?

6 comments:

  1. You look pregnant and adorable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had awful round ligament pain for the last half of my pregnancy with Peanut (I think we discussed this once via Twitter). Pelvic rocks were the best thing for me. Lots and lots of time spent on all fours.

    Do not sit in reclining chairs though. I kept sitting in a lazyboy because it felt good for the pain, but I think that's part of the reason Peanut was sunny side up (which meant back labor).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a couple of pages of exercises that my physio gave me last time I was in early pregnancy... I'll scan them later and email them to you.

    This is one of them... but without putting your arms back

    http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/thebridge.asp

    I also bought a wedge shaped pillow to sit on from the chiro, and that worked wonders... she told me to arch then round my (lower) back when sitting over and over and that helped a lot too... she said to do it 5 times a day if I could with 20 reps( I laughed b/c I barely remembered to brush my teeth at that point)

    Sitting on an exercise ball instead of the sofa helped me too, but then I'd been a bit of a slob :s

    I had to give up wearing Eve in the end since I was terrified of my back/hips being as bad as before, but actually I think it would've been ok... she was older and bigger thn Margaret tho, and i wasn't wearing her regularly, which makes a big difference.

    Resting a lot lying down in the evening (and whenever else I could, haha) instead of sitting, with my legs together helped too... (but then maybe it just made me slothful)

    hope some of that is useful... you look great x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your updates and comparing to how my pregnancy is going. I'm a couple weeks behind you, I'm assuming, because I haven't felt the baby kick yet. But...my milk supply is GONE. Bug still nurses for comfort, but he gets so frustrated. And I can't hand express hardly anything. (I may get a pin head sized drop of thick and sticky colostrum!) But, I also just popped out this past week. I felt for a while that I was just looking fat...but now I'm looking more pregnant (I still say I look fat, just more pregnant than fat. lol)

    I don't have any advice on the round ligament pain. I have been having a lot of hip pain and the sciatic nerve pain (I think that's what it's called) this time around. It's a pain in more ways than one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks funkyhan and lactating girl! I'll try to incorporate some of those.
    And Mallory- while I have supply, it's greatly diminished. We spent half an hour the other day with her going back and forth between the two breasts trying to get something out. I asked her if she wanted water, but she refused other drinks and insisted on the breast. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No suggestions for RRL, just plenty of sympathy. I started having RRL at the start of the 2nd trimester with my (only) pregnancy.

    It's interesting to hear you say yours may not have healed before getting pregnany the 2nd time. My daughter is 11 months old and I still feel soreness related to RRL when I lay on my side for a while. The left side is worse than the right for me.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.