Tuesday, March 09, 2010

16 months later...

November 6, 2008

You uploaded a photo that violates our Terms of Use, and this photo has been removed. Among other things, photos containing nudity, drug use, or other obscene content are not allowed, nor are photos that attack an individual or group. Continued misuse of Facebook's features could result in your account being disabled.

March 9, 2010
You uploaded a photo that violates our Terms of Use, and this photo has been removed. Facebook does not allow photos that attack an individual or group, or that contain nudity, drug use, violence, or other violations of the Terms of Use. These policies are designed to ensure Facebook remains a safe, secure and trusted environment for all users, including the many children who use the site.

Notice the difference? My picture must constitute violence. ;) Personally, I'm not sure how breastfeeding makes Facebook not safe for children. Breastfeeding has definitely proven safe for Margaret- and the other three children I have nursed in the past 2 years. In fact you might say that my breasts are a "safe, secure and trusted environment for... the many children who use [them]."

This is the third picture I've had removed. The two pictured above were profile pictures. Because the second wasn't a profile picture I can't be sure which one it was, but I have a feeling it was this one (below), which I posted to a homebirth group that had lots of baby-coming-out-of-vagina pics so I thought it would be "safe." It's no longer on that group's photo album, though many of the others are still there. It's like someone is out to get me.

Either I'm on Facebook's "list" or I have a really crappy Facebook friend who doesn't have the courage to just talk to me in person or the ability to not look. Dear mysterious "friend": I've definitely "hidden" people in my news feed because their updates got annoying or bothersome. You could try that. Or unfriend me. I'm cool with that. I really am.

Why does this (still) matter? Annie at PhDinParenting did a wonderful job of outlining this right after the FB nurse-in. April at Eclectic Effervescence posted yesterday about her experience with a picture that was removed and demonstrates that Facebook photos aren't removed immediately after being reported. After being reported, they have to be physically looked at by a FB employee who then removes them and send out the form letter. Double standard?

Could it just be that I'm on Facebook's "list" and they have people "checking up" on me? I wouldn't put it past Big Brother. Interestingly, I was commenting on another public blog the other day when someone recognized me, "Hey! We talked about you at work the other day!" After checking out their personal blog, I learned that they are a new Facebook employee. This someone did assure me in email correspondence that I've made a difference within Facebook and that during a Terms of Use lecture FB was giving to new employees, they were told that nudity is not allowed, but nipples were ok if there was a breastfeeding baby on them. Facebook is apparently sending mixed signals to not only the public, but their employees, too. Triple standard? Facebook has some policy sorting to do.

There are just so many levels of wrongness with this whole issue I can't even begin to start. Maybe I'll write a nice, long post about all the wrongness in the future.

TERA has been kind enough to post pictures, with permission from the owners, that have been removed from Facebook. According to Paul Rapoport, after posting my most recent picture, "There are now 199 photos on the TERA site that were submitted by breastfeeding mothers and a few others. Of those, 183 have been banned by Facebook, some more than once."


  1. "This someone did assure me in email correspondence that I've made a difference within Facebook"

    Untrue, I'd say. Facebook has been deleting breastfeeding photos arbitrarily, ignorantly, and hypocritically for well over two years with no change that can be documented, surmised, or even guessed at --- because there has been none.

    Its position is indefensible. Every time its spokesperson opens his mouth, he says something stupider.

    Facebook is clueless and because of its size harmful, not to mention misogynistic.

  2. I continue to be astounded over this issue. I haven't yet had any of my breastfeeding photos on Facebook removed, but I'm waiting...

  3. OK, so since I recently became your friend again on facebook, I just want you to know that I didn't, and have never, reported your photoes. Nor do I consider them obscene. Just to make sure, since it was oddly coincidental. :) Keep fighting. I used to disagree with you about public breastfeeding, and now I totally see your point and am less frightened to nurse in public, even (gasp!) uncovered! So you've made a difference here.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.