Monday, April 05, 2010

Inquisition Monday

A couple questions this Monday!

Kimberly asked, "Just a quick question. How did you adjust your diet when you had excess protein and glucose in your urine? "

In my pregnancy with Margaret, I had a little protein in my urine once and a few weeks later it was glucose. They were separate incidents. Because it was just a little higher than normal, I didn't do much. With the protein, I increased my protein intake. I know it's weird, but eating protein lowers the protein in your urine- crazy! So I added a couple of eggs per day to my diet. I also checked my blood pressure and since that was normal, I didn't think it was necessary to suspect pre-eclampsia quite yet. I didn't go on a full Brewer's Diet, but if my protein kept spilling into my urine, I probably would have.

For the glucose, I stopped eating white sugar. It was hard! I worked at an elementary school at the time and often my snacks would be whatever treats were provided by the PTA on the table in the teacher's lounge. Lots of sugar. So I cut those snacks out and my nighttime snack of ice cream. The worry with glucose is gestational diabetes. If limiting my white sugar hadn't worked, I probably would have gotten a glucometer and would have changed my diet to reflect the diet of someone combatting diabetes. Actually, that's probably not a bad idea for everyone anyway.

Abigail, who I met at a playgroup last week asked, "I want to hear about how you cleaned up Margaret after her birth. Did you have to use an aspirator to suck stuff out of her nose and throat or is that something that hospitals do just because they've been doing it for so long why change it now? Please share!"

We had a bulb syringe because we got one from a baby shower, but I probably wouldn't have used it. If she had trouble breathing, I would have first checked the umbilical cord. If it was still pulsing, I would have relaxed a little and just waited. Blood and oxygen would be still getting to her so I wouldn't have pushed her into breathing right away. I would also check for limpness and color. I may have held her in different positions (slightly head-down maybe) if I thought it would help drain her pass any fluids in her airways. If she needed suctioning, I probably would have done it myself instead of using the bulb. You can (gently!) suction out the baby's nose and mouth yourself. I say gently because you really do need to be gentle. When you perform CPR on a newborn, you only puff the air that fills your cheeks- and no other.

I don't think that suctioning needs to be routine and that letting the baby learn to breathe on their own time is all that is usually needed. Here's a midwife's take on it.

As for cleaning the rest of her, she had a spot of meconium on the top of her head and a fair amount of vernix on her. I just left the vernix and I actually don't remember doing anything about the meconium either. We did put clothes on her a couple of hours into life, but when we were sleeping that night, she got really really warm, so we stopped putting clothes on her at night. In fact, she still sleeps without clothes on. Her first bath was at 3 days old, because I really wanted to do it and was impatient, but I think I'll wait 5 or maybe 7 days this next time. Or longer.


  1. Thanks for answering! I thought the suctioning might be superfluous!


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.