Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Weird Things on Wednesday

When I was discussing Monday's post with McKay, I wondered out loud to him if he thought people would think suctioning your own child with your own mouth would be gross. But then I thought about the other gross things I've done as a mom. The most shocking happened last summer.

I took Margaret to a splash park. She got wet, had fun. It was great! Then she tripped and fell and got a nose bleed.

I have never had a nose bleed in my entire life. I picked her up, held and nursed her wondering if there's something special I'm supposed to do. Then I saw the blood on her upper lip and I took my finger and wiped it off.

Then I licked my finger. Blood and all.

I would have done it again if I hadn't suddenly realized that it was kind of weird to do that. I don't know why I did it, I just did. Instinct maybe? For some reason it made sense to me in the moment.

Postulating on this, McKay suggested that maybe it felt so instinctual because it was. He suggested that my body felt like it needed to ingest her blood to "analyze it" for making my special brand of breastmilk as per #3 in my Top Ten Cool Things About Breastmilk post. Maybe my body needed to know if her blood had any foreign substances in it. I don't know. All I know is I saw her have a nose bleed and then I wiped her nose and then I ingested her blood. Maybe my subconscious wishes I were a vampire.

You do weird things as a parent.


These pictures are from that day. Fun times.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I've done the blood-tasting thing. Never thought of it that way though, it makes sense!

    When DD1 was eating solids, I used to chew up my food and feed it to her baby-bird style. It was the only way she'd eat anything solid. She wanted solids, but wasn't into baby food (even homemade). She very clearly wanted what we were having and this was the only way I could do it safely.

    Gross maybe... but to this day she has a very adventurous palate and will try anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I've ever done that, but I have drunk my own breast milk which Jordan (my husband) thought was disgusting. Still don't get why it's disgusting to him. . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can tell by the smell of DS's diaper if he's getting sick and how bad it will be. Many find that gross (because I sniff it). Of course I don't eat it though.


    I love McKays theory

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me so far the weirdest/grossest is poop related. My daughter struggles with constipation off and on, and it's so strange how I will have her diaper off and watch her poop to see how bad it is. I even "help" it out sometimes (with a tissue).

    But yesterday took the cake. She had just had a difficult BM and I decided to put her in the bath to sooth her bottom. Two minutes in and I realize she is going again so I stood her up thinking I could get her to the toilet, but it was too late. So what did I do? I caught the turd! All I could think was that I didn't want it to land in the bathwater.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.