Friday, May 21, 2010

Anger Management

Despite being pregnant, I've had amazing patience with Margaret and nursing her through the teething. By some miracle, my nipples haven't been very painful the past two days. I still like having my breasts to myself occasionally, though. So this morning, after Margaret nursed from both sides a couple of times and wanted to switch sides yet again, I insisted that right now these are Mommy's breasts and she can have some later.

She did not like this at all. She tugged on my shirt and I repeated, "Mommy's breast. Margaret can have a turn later." So she started slapping my chest. It wasn't painful slapping, but I thought it probably should be re-directed, so I tried to give her words and show her an appropriate way to express her anger.

"You're mad at Mommy. You can hit this pillow, but not Mommy."

I then demonstrated by slapping the pillow in the same way she was slapping me.

She looked at me incredulously, then patted the pillow while whispering, "Soft."

My reaction? Laughter. Apparently she has been paying attention when we ask her to be soft.

My post was featured in the Gentle Discipline Fair!
Visit to see the monthly fairs and other great Gentle Discipline resources.

Gentle Parent - art by Erika Hastings at


  1. This post totally just made my day. I'm not really sure why, but it was really touching.

    Blessings, Skye

  2. She is one smart girl. Too cute!

  3. This post if featured in the May Gentle Discipline Fair! Let you readers know by adding the badge to your post! Code is available here:


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.