Friday, May 14, 2010

Real Food

"I'd like to bear my testimony. I know real food is true."

So this move has taught me a lot and one of the most important lessons has been: it's worth it to pay the extra to have nice food.

We "moved" into our apartment two Fridays ago. It was just us and we couldn't unload the van, so we slept on an air mattress. We ate some food storage. Saturday we unloaded the van and Sunday we went to church. All through the weekend, we lived on leftovers from our food storage meal. Monday morning, I set out to find a post office by driving aimlessly around the neighborhood (the lot of people without GPS, Internet, or a decent phone book). Unfortunately, I never did find a post office, but I ran into a grocery store and decided we needed food.

Because we had just spent money on a moving truck, gas to get two vehicles across Nevada, and paid rent plus the deposit the weekend before, I decided, "Just this once, I'll just buy the cheap stuff so we can live until we get the Internet and I can find a real store."

So that's what I did. And I regretted it.

First, the produce was HUGE. While that's supposedly a sign of our wealth as Americans, I saw it as a "This produce was genetically modified and doused in chemicals to make you want it" guarantee. Yes, we are in California and the produce is supposed to be awesome, but this was way beyond that. This food was on steroids.

Second, the eggs. I'm used to buying happy cage-free eggs. I went with the hens-smashed-up-against-each-other kind this time. When we brought them home and cooked them up, it was immediately noticeable that they just don't taste as good as eggs from happier chickens.

Third, the meat. I can't tell you the last time my ground beef had so much grease. Yes, we tried to strain it out, but it was impossible to get it all. And I got a stomach ache from it.

Fourth, the yogurt. Margaret loves yogurt. We usually buy yogurt with few ingredients. In fact, I forgot that the cheap yogurt had HFCS and Red #40. I brought it home before I realized this. It didn't even have real fruit, just fruit juice. If you've made the effort to juice the fruit, just put the fruit in! Of course Margaret was so excited to have yogurt, that I relented and let her have some. And if I thought teething and moving were a bad combination before- well, it just got 100 times worse. Never again. Plus, it tasted gross and not like yogurt at all.

Fifth, I don't think I've ever been in a store with so many Nestle products before. And it's not that there were lots of Nestle, but that Nestle was the only choice. While walking down the baking goods aisle (we needed flour), I noticed there were 2 brands of chocolate chips: Nestle and the store brand. And there were 5 kinds of Nestle chips; I had to really search to find the store brand. I didn't buy either because at this point, I was upset at both Nestle AND this store.

Never shopping there again. Yesterday I went to a different store. None of the yogurts had Red #40. The organic produce section was huge. The eggs and meat came from animals that could actually walk- and did! And you could find fair trade options for the organic produce- something that Utah rarely had.

There's a farmer's market not too far from our house and there's a CSA that drops food off at Pixar. I'm very excited to eat real local food in the future. It tastes better. It's just better. Yes, I spent twice our grocery budget yesterday, but it was worth it. It's worth it to have good food for Margaret. And to have good food for my pregnancy; the extra that we're paying in groceries makes up for the fact that I don't have $300 ultrasounds or office visits. Eating good food does more for my pregnancy than an ultrasound ever would.

So yes, I believe in real food. It's yummy. Amen.

Written after having happy eggs, happy yogurt, and happy bananas for breakfast.


  1. Amen! We are "real food" believers as well.

  2. I can't believe the crap food I used to buy. Once you get used to REAL food, you can't go back. It's an insult to your taste buds.

  3. One of the things I miss most about our time in CA is the farmers' market. So enjoy, and eat it up for me! *B

  4. I feel the spirit in your testimony. ;-)

  5. Actual free trade stuff besides root beer. Wow. Lucky, lol.

  6. You're so getting apples out of my orchard later this year. They didn't used to be organic, but they haven't been sprayed in 5 or 6 years. And blackberries. We have an insane proliferation of berry vines; one patch is about to swallow a couple of our apple trees whole.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.