Saturday, May 15, 2010

What Self-Care is like

Except for the round ligament pain, this pregnancy has been pretty smooth sailing. This week, however, I've had to do a little bit of "extra" self-care.

On Sunday I noticed that my ankles were swelling a little bit. I was still able to wear my wedding rings and it didn't hurt, so I didn't do anything.

Monday they were still swollen. I could still wear my rings, but since I never had ANY swelling with Margaret, I figured I should do something. So I peed in a cup and tested my urine.

Everything was fine. I was expecting to see protein show up, but nope. What did this mean? It meant I was was having regular pregnancy swelling. Strangely enough, just like spilling protein in your urine means you need more protein in your diet, retaining water means you need more water. So I increased my water intake. I also made a more dedicated effort to exercise. And the next day? The swelling was gone.

I have had swelling since then, but I'm pretty sure it's because my dedication to exercise didn't last all week. It was really chilly yesterday!

So that's a mini look at what doing your own prenatal care is sort of like: you notice a problem, determine how big of a deal the problem is and attempt to fix it with diet/exercise/water. If the problem is persistant, you can get help if you feel you need it. Because my swelling was minimal (just my ankles and usually only in the evening) there wasn't a need to do much. I just need to keep up with a consistant exercise routine and drink my water.

1 comment:

  1. I love that! I've been looking for some way to get rid of pubic symphis pain on my own...without much luck. It's pretty much my only real complaint right now!


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.