Monday, July 05, 2010

The Carnival of Nursing in Public

There a new blog out there: and for their launch, they are hosting a Carnival of Nursing in Public. It's has been put together by Dionna at Code Name: Mama and Paige at Baby Dust Diaries. All week long there will be posts about nursing in public over there! I wrote up a post and it'll show up over there some time. I'll link to it when it does.

But in the meantime, I'd like to link to some of the posts I've written about nursing in public.

One of my first NIP posts was a response to the idea that breastfeeding is an intimate act between mother and child and shouldn't be seen because of that intimacy.

To expect a woman to leave or cover up is discrimination: it physically segregates either the mother or the baby from society.

Someone at church watched me latch Margaret on once. That was a year and a half ago and she's still breastfeeding her little one.

Then there's my classic one about breastfeeding and my take on the LDS view of modesty. And my more recent one about how the Church has portrayed breastfeeding. And one where I talk about how breastfeeding at church affected people around me.

Here was a post of how I worked layers and breastfeeding. I don't do layers anymore because Margaret is against them. I just pull down.

And then there was the Facebook nurse-in. Unfortunately, they still take down pictures and you can see some of them here.

Happy Nursing in Public!


  1. We will be sure to put some of your previously published NIP posts on our site as resources. Thank you :)

  2. i'm a newish reader so i really enjoyed checking out some of those links to your posts. especially the one about struggling with nursing in your ward. you have a really unique perspective! i'm not a religious person but so i thought it was fascinating, i hadn't thought about breastfeeding's possible effects on those relationships.

  3. You should get an award for your NIP posts! You are so inspiring. I can't remember if they were going to do a creme de la creme, but I would totally nominate one of your posts.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.