Wednesday, August 04, 2010

No Go BlogHer

I am not going to BlogHer. It's probably not something I will go to for a long time, but this year, my "excuse" is that I had a baby a little over 2 weeks ago and I'm still in my babymoon. And I have a 2 year old. And childcare is just too expensive. Would you believe that some of McKay's coworkers pay up to $1600 or more a month for day care?! That gives me quite the sticker shock!

ANYWAY, my friend MarfMom is having a blog party for those of us who are staying home from BlogHer this week and I thought I'd participate.

When did you start blogging?

It was the fall of 2005. I was starting my second year at BYU and the early posts of this blog are attempts in personal narrative and pathetic fiction. I thought I was cool. I wasn't. I'm still trying to be cool.

Why did you start blogging?

Like I said: I was trying to be cool. I wanted to join the 100 Hour Board and all the cool Board Writers had blogs and secret names so I started this blog and had the top secret name "TopHat" in order to look cool like them. I never did write for the Board, but I wasn't really at BYU long enough for it to be beneficial. I finished my degree in a little over 3 years: not long enough to establish myself as a Board Writer anyway.

What is one thing you are going to do this week that is WAY cooler than going to BlogHer?

Um... Knit? Nurse? Fight thrush? The grapefruit seed extract is working, by the way. Ooh! Today is Wednesday and so we get our CSA box today! I'm really excited about that! I might read a book. I'm expecting some packages in the mail, too. We'll get our new car seat. It's a Radian... ooOOooh!

Share a post that you think says a lot about you or is your favorite.
Well, there're the "popular posts" on the right. Those posts are the ones that keep getting comments months later. A post that says a lot about me? I don't really know. I have one in my post queue that I need to finish that would fit this well, but it's still in the works. I think I'll link to "Out to Eat." It was one of my first posts about nursing in public and I still think about how people make breastfeeding into this special bonding time, when the reality is that it's not always like that. If I were to change things about the post, I'd skip the asterisks and addendums.

So that's my No Go BlogHer Post! And now I'm off to do some more nursing, diapering, and singing Old MacDonald.

9 comments:

  1. knitting is totally cooler than Blogher! ;)

    Part of me wishes I could go but I know they probably would want me dragging my kids around because I don't want to put them in childcare. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be watching Elmo movies and going for walks to the mailbox 'round here. Totally better than a fancy dancy conference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy nogoblogher! I'm really happy I came across your blog. I love your post on breastfeeding and modesty. Interesting (not surprising) that I've felt the same in regards to hijab.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Babies are so wonderful!! I hope you are getting your rest.

    Love, Love, Love your header with all the vintage pictures!!

    I breast feed all of my kids (9 of them). I so strongly believe in breastfeeding, I nursed everywhere and in front of whom ever, I would try cover up but I nursed on demand. And for the most part I refused to go nurse in the bathroom Yuck!! Who wants to eat in the bathroom? Not me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 weeks ago? A giant Congrats! I also plan on knitting while I'm not at BlogHer! Your newest follower! Stop by and say hello! http://nicolesspirit878.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mike H.6:03 PM

    Congrats on the birth. I've not been reading your blog lately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I actually originally came across your blog from searching for things about LDS women and public brastfeeding for a post I did on my blog for world breastfeeding week. Then another blog I follow posted about this blog hop and I saw you on the list, and I was like, "That's the blog I just linked to!" So I wanted to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I knew how to knit. So many beautiful items to make!!
    Stopping in from No Go BlogHer Blog Hop to say" Hi"!!
    I now follow!
    matternu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not coordinated enough to knit, but do cross stitch and crewel embroidery. I also do woodworking. Congrats on the baby. Stopping by from No-Go Blog hop

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.