Thursday, September 30, 2010

Shampoo bars

I really like No 'Poo and it has been going great. And then I started exercising. I think I've mentioned before that I'm very good at perspiring- so good, in fact, that I've used prescription antiperspirant in the past. I did that until I just gave up and accepted the fact that my body just works really well and I'm not going to be able to fight it.

So when I started walking a month ago, I had to up my No Poo routine with more baking soda. But no big deal. Then last week I started jogging. And again, I couldn't keep up. So I looked into Shampoo Bars because I have had friends who have used those. Yep. Shampoo in bar form- like soap! For your hair! You can get them at farmer's markets or on sites like etsy and support local artisans. I like that I can pronounce and understand each of the ingredients. The one I got also has some essential oil in it for fragrance.

This morning was the first time I've used it and it went well. I want to continue using baking soda. I might work it out that I use the shampoo bar once a week, or maybe less often: once or twice a month. I really liked having a pixie cut earlier this year because short hair is so much easier to clean, but for now I'm keeping it slightly above the shoulders by popular demand. Ok, more like husband request. But "pixie cut" is one of my incentives for a personal goal at the moment, so maybe by my birthday or January, I'll get to treat myself to one again.

So we're trying the shampoo bar for now. I wonder if I should try it in Margaret's hair every once and a while.

7 comments:

  1. I've been using a Lush shampoo bar that my friend brought back from Great Britain. I hadn't heard that people make them locally, but now that I know, I'll see if I can find some in the Utah Valley area... I only have to wash my hair every week or week and a half this way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love trying new things. especially in Jaxon's hair. Of course- that being said he does too and im about to throw him in the tub to get the toothpaste out of his hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting to find something along these lines. I've tried the baking soda/vinegar combo for my hair and have come to the conclusion that I just have too much hair for it to work long term. I need to use some soap of some sort about once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting! I am headed over to etsy to check some of the shampoo bars out. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Question, do you avoid using other hair products like hairspray with the no poo routine?

    I regulary use mousse and hairspray so I feel like I have to wash it out with shampoo. Sometimes on the weekend I won't use products and I'll go without shampooing, but even then my hair is limp and full of static.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They also sell them at Target.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I buy a brand of shampoo bar online called Chagrin Valley, and I love them. What I do is shave a small piece of with a knife, let it sit in a small plastic container with some water and dissolve into a weak liquid shampoo, which I use every couple days. I do a weak cider vinegar rinse every 2-3 weeks as well, and my hair is loving this routine (along with henna every 6 weeks & coconut or olive oil on the ends if they feel dry).

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.