Friday, October 08, 2010

Friday Fill-ins

1. My favorite month is March because of International Women's Day!

2. I love opening the windows for a fresh breeze.

3. I love to sniff my baby's head.

4. Puffin cake* is what I like to have as a treat for breakfast.

5. The hobby I enjoy most is knitting. Bet you couldn't guess that one.

6. I did 21 pushups yesterday**- oh my!

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to pizza night, tomorrow my plans include checking out some garage sales and Sunday, I want to knit or write or something!


*Puffin cake is German pancakes.
**Not in a row. I'm not that strong yet.

ffi

Remember how I had fitness goals? One of them is to be able to jog for 30 minutes without stopping. McKay swears it's possible, but I don't know. Anyway, I'm doing the C25K program and am in week 3. I'm also trying to increase my upper body strength so I'm doing the 100 push ups training program because my friend Katie on Facebook was doing it and inspired me.

I'm still going strong with doing a load of diapers every morning with our Wonder Wash. It is extra work, but the fact that I have to do it every day organizes my morning and gets me going. It has not only decreased our water usage and cost of washing diapers, but has helped the rhythm of my day, which has been probably the most beneficial aspect of it.

I'm trying to get some knitting in, but I'm not being very good at that. I finished the collar on Isaac's blessing outfit. I also participated in a winter craft blog carnival a couple of weeks ago. And I spent yesterday afternoon practicing kusudama flowers.

It's International Babywearing Week! Wear your babies and toddlers and love them! Wearing Isaac makes outings so much easier. It's a lot easier to chase down a toddler in a busy Exploratorium or grocery store when your baby is safely strapped to you! Wearing Margaret makes the transition from her nap to being put in the car to pick up McKay from work easier.

Also, Nestle is still evil. Remember that when you buy Halloween candy this year.

I'm also reading Hope Beneath Our Feet and so my mind has been thinking about how we can be greener than we currently are. McKay might have the chance to start working from home in a month- and that would definitely limit our car usage. I'm also going to walk to the park today, even though it's a murderous 200 feet increase in elevation (that's 20 stories). It'll be good for me. I've also toyed with the idea of pirate gardening and getting a BART pass. Also, I've been coveting a Bakfiet. Oh I can dream...

My mind has been occupied with feminism, as demonstrated by a dream I had two nights ago in which my subconscious self had a good hard cry for gender inequality in the Church. Along those lines, a couple of people I know are involved with the new feminist Mormon organization, WAVE. Jenne, who is in charge of their Service Missions, was the person who let us stay in their family house in San Francisco while we looked for an apartment when we first moved here. Anyway, WAVE has "Calls to Action" and just posted a new one yesterday. I'm not directly involved with WAVE, but I have participated in their calls to action and I think when I have more time, I would like to submit guest posts.

I do feel like I'm being pulled in a million directions. You can tell by the state of my house, but I'm ok with that. I know that this is not the season in my life for keeping a tidy home. At the soonest, that will be when I can put Isaac down and he'll occupy himself (maybe when he starts sitting up or crawling?), and at the latest, that will be when the kids are out of the house. I'm just not going to worry myself about it. I do what I can and that's that.

5 comments:

  1. I must be in a giggly mood today, because everything is making me laugh! I love how you said you aren't doing 21 push ups in a row yet! And you line about Nestle still being evil! *giggle*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to try out that push up program and see if my library has that book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love German pancakes! We call them Dutch Babies around here.

    You've got my creativity itching to make one of those Kusudama flowers. It would be the perfect gift for my sis. Thanks for all the links!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, guess what, I started knitting!

    And, totally unrelated to this post, I just got my copy of Mothering Magazine, and there's an article on unassisted childbirth! I thought of you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did this Couch to 5K program back in the summer of 2008:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

    The 60 seconds of jogging the first day nearly killed me! I just did NOT think I could run. I stuck with it (mostly), and I WAS JOGGING FOR 30 MINUTES AT THE END!!!! It was like a miracle! I wasn't jogging FAST, but I was moving in a jogging-like motion!!

    I feel like I am not progressing very well in my pushups, but I am sticking with that too. On my very first day, I was able to do 10 in a set. On September 21 (end of week 1), I did 14 in a set! Last time I did it, I maxed out at 12 in a set -- what?!? I hope my form is getting better, and that may explain why I am not going up in numbers very easily. I am up to 50 pushups for the day, so that's cool!

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.