Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Green Documentaries

A week ago, McKay was sick and I held off the majority of the sickness until the weekend. So I've been busy getting better and also doing nothing. Enter Netflix. It was wonderful to have postpartum. It's also wonderful while sick. Because of Netflix, my cultural knowledge has expanded. Yes, I was one of those people who had never seen Hairspray and didn't know that Ricki Lake was in the first one. But now I know! And I've seen Hairspray!

I was excited to discover, though, that there are documentaries on Instant Play. There are a bunch of National Geographic documentaries and many environmental ones. I've seen No Impact Man, The 11th Hour, Dirt! The Movie (style reminiscent of Bill Nye), King Corn. On my list to watch there are Food, Inc., The Future of Food, The Botany of Desire, and Food Matters.

Plus there are a lot of other documentaries. It's been fun to watch and learn. Though I'll admit my eco-conscience reminds me, "Hey. Read that book from the library. You don't need electricity to do that!" And sometimes I do read that library book. I had a week to cram for this month's book club in a week.

But if you've got Netflix and a free afternoon, look into the documentaries.

Now excuse me as I go back to getting everything in order again post-sickness. I have a CSA box of veggies to put away and a 4 month old whose nose is stuffy.


  1. Food Matters is in my queue. (So is Hairspray! lol) I love the documentaries on Netflix!

  2. We've been doing that about once or twice a week after kids are in bed. We've watched Food, Inc., The Future of Food, & Food Matters. King Corn and A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash are on my list. I'll have to look into the others you've recommended too. You should check The Beautiful Truth and The Gerson Miracle too. Our Netflix free trial ends next week. :O( We aren't sure if we want to keep it or not. We probably will since it's our only "TV".

  3. You can also, if you hadn't discovered it already, watch birth documentaries (like BoBB) on Netflix instant play!

  4. there's a natural birthing documentary too, it features Ricki Lake having a home birth.

    I love Netflix!

  5. Don't forget Dr. Who! I don't know if you are a fan but season 5 just came out and my dh and I continue to be obsessed.

    As per the library book: you could turn it around and say, how many trees, petroleum, and water were used to make this book? Not only that, but how much electricity does my library use to be open all the time? There is always another side to the green guilt isn't there? Sigh.

  6. I love the documentaries! I'll frequently put one on in the background while I work on something else and the baby is down for a nap.

  7. I just watched Babies! on Netflix. Sooooo sweet.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.