Sunday, December 12, 2010


I'm 25 today.

I haven't always had the best birthdays. Historically, ward Christmas parties always fell on my birthday. And family emergencies. And finals. And someone always got sick. December is just not a good time for birthdays. I remember getting a sled for my birthday... and the 2 weeks later my siblings got sleds for Christmas. Nothing was solely "mine." McKay has the same issue- his birthday is 2 weeks after Christmas, so we both experience the Christmas/birthday conundrum.

Today should be good though. They're canceling Sunday School and Relief Society today and we're having a 2 hour brunch party instead. Happy Birthday to me!*

And I can officially rent a car now. So I'm an adult now. Officially. Because all that other stuff I have done doesn't count, at least not to actuaries.

I've been around for a quarter of a century. I expect to live another 2 more, at least. The women in my family tend to live to their 90s. So I look at my life and think about living that 2 (and a half?) more times over. I accomplished a lot in my first 25 years, and I know I can accomplish a lot in the next (and next...).

For my birthday, I'm giving myself a birthday present: a new blog. It's a feminist Mormon blog dedicated to remembering our Heavenly Mother. This past week I've been posting on it so you can see some content and get a feel for what I'm trying to do with it.

So check out that blog. It's been fun for me to read and think about the scriptures and hymns in this light and I just wanted to share that.

*Fine. It's a Christmas brunch and not a birthday party, but at least it's not a family emergency, right? And no Sunday School! Can I get a BOO-YA?! Although, Sunday School in this ward is actually interesting and makes me want to do the reading ahead of time. I never thought that was possible.


  1. Happy birthday!!! I can't wait until I'm a "real" adult! My mom's birthday is four days before Christmas...ans she shares that day with her twin, too! (Poor mom always got gypped.)

  2. Happy Birthday! I remember marking 25 with an I can rent cars now too! Too funny! And congrats on the new blog. I keep thinking about expanding myself but I just don't have the time these days. If I had one for each passion though I'd have about 4! Hope you had a great day!

  3. Happy birthday! I also thought it was very, very funny that I was FINALLY allowed to rent a car when I turned twenty-five :)


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.