Thursday, December 23, 2010

Last Christmas

I never heard the song, "Last Christmas" when I was a kid; I was too busy sobbing over the tragic idea of grandma getting run over by reindeer. So I first heard it a few years ago. I'm sure you all know the refrain.

Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day, you gave it away
This year, to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special
At first I was all, "Rock on! Don't let yourself get walked all over this year!"

Then the next year I heard:
Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day, you gave it away
This year, to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special
And I was all um ok. Try again, friend.

And then the next year:
Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day, you gave it away
This year, to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special
And the next:
Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day, you gave it away
This year, to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special
And am I only one noticing a pattern? Who's really the one with commitment issues? Who's changing partners every year?

It's just suspicious, that's all.

Hope you all have a worry-free, light-hearted Christmas!

ETA: In the comments, Katie mentioned the music video. Here it is in its full-feathered hair 80s glory.

7 comments:

  1. That is my most hated Christmas song of all time. I especially enjoy watching the music video and making fun of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always hated this song too, I don't get why it would even be played with the Christmas songs, it's not uplifting and inspiring, just sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie- I added it to the post just for you! It's 80s emo at its best. :)

    Melinda- This one and a few others bother me. This one is the worst because it gets stuck in your head and you can't get it out! Both McKay and I have been singing it off and on for days because it's so persistant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!!

    http://katieswords.blogspot.com/2009/12/worst-christmas-song-of-all-time.html

    I hate it for the same reason as you - it gets stuck in your head!! Also, I disapprove of bands with exclamation points in their name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You missed the worst line: "But if you kissed me now I bet I'd do it again.". So much for overcoming the jerk and moving past!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with the other commenters: it's one of my most hated songs. Terrible message, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How could anyone possibly hate this song??!!

    Wham! is *still* hot.

    <3

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.