Wednesday, December 01, 2010

WIP Wednesday

Sometimes on my knitting blog, I do a WIP Wednesday. WIP is "Work in Progress." Usually, I only post FOs (finished objects), but on WIP Wednesday, I'll show the things that are on my needles, but aren't quite done yet.

I've been thinking also how I am a work in progress. This blog is a work in progress. My children are works in progress- works that I try to have some influence on, but concede that in the end, my influence is ultimately limited and dependent on if they still like me in 20, 30, 50 years. My marriage is a work in progress, my testimony is a work in progress. The books I haven't finished reading and the essays that are waiting to be written: works in progress.

Sometimes I feel uneasy about blogging my progress because I am a constantly changing person and writing about it here sets me up for your judgments and comments.

One thing I find very beautiful about Mormon theology is that we believe that even after we die and receive exaltation, we will continue to progress and grow forever. Heavenly Mother and Father are works in progress. When all is said and done, the end goal is to be a work in progress. (psst... it's almost like there is no end goal, hmm. will need to think on that one...)

So really, I've achieved that goal, and isn't that wonderful? Yes, I make mistakes and I'm not the expert on a single thing, unless you count putting your foot in your mouth something you can perfect- because I'm pretty much guaranteed exaltation if we're going to use that as a celestial goal. Twinkle me now!

Anyway, what I want to say to the Internets and myself is this: You're a work in progress. And sometimes progress goes backwards or stagnates. That's cool, too. You've been doing this for a long time and you'll be doing it for a lot longer. Be easy on yourself. You won't ever be a finished object, even after this life and the next. And isn't that wonderful?

5 comments:

  1. I can't seem to think of a very eloquent comment, but basically, I liked this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post reminds me of the 3rd, 4th and 5th verse of "If you could hie to Kolob". (I had to look up how many verses had the "There is no end to..." parts.) http://lds.org/churchmusic/detailmusicPlayer/index.html?searchlanguage=1&searchcollection=1&searchseqstart=284&searchsubseqstart=%20&searchseqend=284&searchsubseqend=ZZZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very important to keep progressing! Also important to recognize that eternal progression doesn't mean "learning new things all the time" or even "perfecting qualities." Christ is perfect. So are our Heavenly Parents. They have achieved exaltation. Now, their continued glory rests on us achieving our exaltation, with their help! If eternal progession meant learning new things, there would be a danger that Heavenly Father would suddenly learn some new truth that would change everything. Neil A Maxwell explains this beautifully in the book "All these things shall give you experience."
    One thing is certain: we should all be gentle with ourselves, and with each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mallory- I hadn't thought of that. Though, that song needs an update and not sound like a funeral march. Maybe I'll get on that. :)

    MommyD-I do think our Heavenly Parents are learning new things all the time. I guess I see it like this: if Scott Joplin hadn't written ragtime and made it popular, jazz, and then subsequently, rock, wouldn't have evolved like they have. What would have been created in that stead? Because creation is constant and we are always creating new things, there will always be new things to learn about, new stories to tell, new artforms to develop. I bet there are new logics and maths. And new ways to nurture relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. Thanks for the reminder. Your post about "Being that change" has also been playing through my head the last few weeks. You always have such beautiful insights into the world. The thought of eternal progression is so exciting to me. I love to learn and sometimes I get giddy thinking about all the things I have yet to learn about.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.