Friday, February 25, 2011

Life with a Smartphone

I have smartphone now. Well, I've had one for the past month. It's actually my very first cellphone that's all my own! McKay and I had been sharing one for the past many years. And it's interesting.

The first few weeks were what you would expect: I got a few games on my phone and I was having fun! I played while nursing babies down to sleep- which then would turn into me playing for an hour because, you know, just one game of Sudoku is not enough.

Then about the third week something interesting happened. My google reader filled up. Emails went unanswered. I wasn't checking to see if you all were commenting every 20 minutes. Suddenly life started being lived again- and it was being lived more than before I had the phone. It was like my new cell phone unconnected me from the world. What the weird?

What contributed to this?

- It's really hard to type on a cell phone. So emails weren't getting responses. And cellphones don't have shortcut keys, so reading my reader (and then commenting on the various blogs) stopped happening.

- I had to finish Anna Karenina because I was leading a book group discussion. Before my phone, I had been reading while nursing my babies to sleep and I was only 150 pages from being done when I got the phone. Then two weeks later, I had only gone another 50 pages. I stopped using the phone during naptimes and now I get reading done! I'm already halfway through March's book group book.

- I set up alarms. During the 9-5 workday, every hour, on the hour, my phone rings at me. This reminds me to stop for 10-15 minutes (depending on how I'm feeling) to set the time and clean up. Flylady would be proud, I'm sure. At the beginning of the day, I set up my random number generator to my tidying list and I get through most of the list before the end of the day this way. Sometimes it rings at me at the store, so I ignore it for that hour. If I'm busy with something immediate like nursing or diapering when it rings, I hit snooze and put off the cleaning for 9 minutes. If I'm still busy 9 minutes later and can't do the cleaning, I skip that hour. The other 45 minutes are spent doing something else like knitting while...

- Listening to podcasts! This is the greatest thing ever! Yes, half a decade after the rest of the world, I'm discovering podcasts. Thank you, Technology Gods, for bringing me the easy-to-listen-to voices of Australian male knitters whenever I want. And the amazing essays of knitters in the UK. Wow. I'm going to get an inferiority complex over some of these essays I listen to. And I get to learn history and politics and everything while driving the car or knitting on the couch. On my knitting blog, I'll do a post later about my favorite knitting podcasts for those of you who are interested.

So with all of that, who has time for surfing the web? I don't know. All I know is my smartphone is responsible for my (slightly) cleaner house, my renewed ability to finish books I start, and my desire to do some more knitting and writing.


  1. Wow, I wish my phone could help me with all that.

    But I keep it in the car so I don't leave home without it...maybe that's the problem.

  2. I found that the same kind of thing happened to me when I got a smart phone, too. That was when I also discovered podcasts, which I agree are THE BOMB!


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.