Friday, April 29, 2011

Friday Fill-ins and HAPPINESS!

1. I love to knit.

2. Waking up to a baby is waking up to giggles and a smile.

3. It's how you play the game.

4. Show me, don't tell me!

5. Well, would you do it all over again?

6. Our basil seedlings are our spring peepers.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to signing a new lease, tomorrow my plans include cleaning up a beach and watching a friend's kids and Sunday, I want to knit!



Before continuing, I wanted to give a shout out to a new blog, Our Mother's Keeper. It's a new eco-conscious Mormon blog and I'm excited to start following it. They have some great permas there.

Now my happy news!

Did you see #7 there? Signing a new lease?! It's exciting, let me tell you. It's like this place was made for us.

It's a basement of a 1895 Victorian home and there's a yard we can use to garden in! I'm so excited! And that's not the only awesome part. The whole place is awesomesauce. They have ducks, fruit trees, solar panels, and major plans for a steampunk playhouse.

And future projects may include: grey water, water catchment and storage, irrigation system in front and back, hot tub install, clay pizza oven, taking care of the ducks, beehives.

Um, did I just die and go to heaven?

No scratch that. When we first moved to the Bay Area, I joked to McKay that it was like coming to the Celestial Kingdom: everything is in walking distance, there's great diversity, you can find crunchy people and resources, volunteer opportunities, the ward is the bee's knees, it's perfect.

And now this! I think we've upgraded to the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom and I'm going to explode because it is so radiant and happy.

I'm really excited for this move. It's slightly more expensive, but with free utilities and a yard to use, I'm ok with that. The layout of the apartment is funky because the house wasn't built to have an apartment in the basement. We also don't have the security of a gated place anymore.

The biggest downside is that we're taking a hit in counter space and cabinet space, but I'm sure our landlords will be ok with us installing some counters. I'm looking at this as a crunchy apprenticeship: From now until we have the money to buy our own home, I can learn how to do grey water, how they set up their solar panels, how to (organically) garden in the local soil and climate, etc. And then when we have the money to buy, I'll be ready to set it all up there!

And what does this mean for you readers? Well, now I'll have more blog fodder, starting in June!

STEAMPUNK PLAYHOUSE.

That is all.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! That does sound like crunchy heaven!!! Can I come visit? I want to learn to install a gray water system!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds so great and so perfect for you! can't wait to hear more and see pics. good luck with packing and moving. i hate doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously--a steampunk playhouse?! I can't wait to see that.

    My dad made a wood fire-heated hot tub back in the day. I'm pretty sure he ordered the instructions from the back of a Boy's Life magazine. You wouldn't have this problem in San Fran, but up in the mountains the water would freeze (when it wasn't being heated) and we kids would "ice skate" on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meanwhile, I'm stuck in Outer Darkness! lol. Dang, I just need to move to Cali! :D Beehives!!!??? That is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm from San Jose, and I must admit that I've never heard SF or that area referred to as the Celestial Kingdom before. More often heard it referred to as Outer Darkness. lol. But I'm glad you are having such an opposite experience there! That does seem like a really neat opportunity for you! I'm glad you found it! Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.