Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday Fill-ins

1. It's fun to meet new friends.

2. Homemade deodorant is easy to make.

3. I like to be with my family.

4. Why people feel like they have to tell me to put shoes on my children, I will never know! (But I usually just smile and say, "We're hippies. We don't wear shoes," and they leave us alone.) Also in my arsenal: "We're protesting the poor labor conditions and insufficient employee compensation in the footwear industry."

5. Something I'm very much excited about is finally connecting with the local unschooling group.

6. The time spent sewing my new temple outfit was well worth it.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to going out for our anniversary, tomorrow my plans include yard work and Sunday, I want to make stuffed peppers!

So over on InfiKnity, I'm  doing a 30 day cast-on-a-thon where I start a new project (knitting or otherwise) every day for a month. Yesterday I made deodorant using the Instructables directions. I also sewed a new temple outfit (pictures up at InfiKnity later today or tomorrow). I would still like to add some embroidery to it, but it's usable. I'm excited to start new projects as the month progresses! I also have a few blog posts in progress that I just haven't gotten around to. I've been in a blogging ennui slump.


  1. Yesterday, my dh was playing at a work softball game, and our 2 yr old was running around in socks (because it was cold, she'd been barefoot earlier, and had been wearing crocs before that) and this older woman picked her up, came to find us (about 30 feet away) and said to Claire once she was near us "You can't run around, you don't have any shoes!" My dh just said, "she doesn't want to wear them" and the woman put her down and left. So weird.

  2. That is weird. Who picks random kids up? Maybe I just have personal boundary issues, though.

  3. There was an article in the NY Times not too long ago about how going barefoot actually helps toddlers develop a proper arch. Children who are accustomed to going barefoot have a healthier gait that puts less stress on the rest of their body.

  4. In areas where children don't wear shoes, being flat footed is practically unheard of (I just linked to an article about this in my blog, actually). I totally encourage barefoot for adults AND children. It's terribly important to proper development of ones feet. The rest of the world will catch up soon, I hope.

    In the meantime, I love your answer.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.