Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I'm too tired to read more sexism

I used to talk about recent news articles on this blog, but I've fallen out of that practice. News happens so fast and it's forgotten about so quickly! But a part of me wonders if I should get back into that. So here goes!


If you've been around the Internet the past couple of days, you may have seen the JC Penney sexist shirt debacle. The shirt is no longer available, but if you'd like a screenshot of the online store page, you can find it here. The shirt said, "I'm too pretty to do homework, so my brother has to do it for me," and the item description said, "Who has time for homework when there's a new Justin Bieber album out? She'll love this tee that's just as cute and sassy as she is."

Ahhh- yeah.

Now, I was able to eye roll at the shirt: the world is full of shirts that are offensive and sexist and while I'd like for them not to exist, an eye roll was good enough for me. What was the zinger for me? The product description. The very existence of that description meant that someone looked at the shirt and thouht it wasn't sexist enough and continued the train wreck for a couple of extra sentences. And they got paid to do that. How many people at JC Penney saw this shirt and ok'd it as acceptable? I don't even want to know.

Now on the other hand, if it said, "I'm too unschooled to do homework," I think I would get it. Well, if it was second-hand; I'm trying to love the earth and not buy new right now. :)

1 comment:

  1. Ugh. Blah. Yeah, I'm getting tired of it, too. It's like they want to make it really, really difficult to raise a daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.