Sunday, August 07, 2011

Tandem Nursing Dolls

Another one taken with my phone.  Nursing Margaret to sleep at naptime. Margaret wanted the "big" breast and her doll got my "little" one. My right side has always been the bigger one since puberty. After Margaret was born, I tried to get her to nurse more on the left in order to encourage it to make more and even them out, but it just wasn't able to keep up with the right side. I think the right side simply has more ducts and breast tissue. Anyway, Margaret has called dibs on the "big" side and Isaac gets the little one. During the day he gets whichever one I offer, but that's the sleeping arrangement.

This is the last day of World Breastfeeding Week. Yesterday, I participated in the Big Latch On. We were to nurse for a full minute all together. I knew Isaac would not put up with that, especially in an environment where everything is new and exciting. The only way I can get him to nurse longer than 20 seconds is to nurse him to sleep or when he's really hungry. If he's neither of those, he's a latch-and-go child. I assumed Margaret would love the chance to nurse for a full minute since I'm usually limiting her nursing time with counts to 10 or the Itsy Bitsy Spider, but I latched her on about 15 seconds before the minute and 10 seconds later, she was done. I was able to convince her to get back on for the minute, but she really didn't want to. My children just prefer to explore!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.