Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Community Breastfeeding Support

Today, I just wanted to give a shout out to those in our community who are supportive of breastfeeding. This past summer, two of the local hospitals cut services to women, including free breastpumps for mothers of newborns in the NICU. Upset about this, a local RN group hosted a bake sale to raise money. Last night, I was witness to them using some of the subsequent money to support local community breastfeeding support. It warms my heart to see people caring about the nursing relationship like this.

I love where we live: I've never once had anyone mention anything about me breastfeeding anywhere since moving to California. Our local WIC is huge on breastfeeding and organized the World Breastfeeding Week Walk we went to this year. I know there is an Oakland hospital that is actively working on receiving Baby Friendly status.


Because we are generally healthy as a family, we don't really run into healthcare professionals all that much. It's easy to read sites like myOBsaidwhat and get the impression that good support for breastfeeding from health care providers is rare to non-existent. No, we're not there yet, but we're getting closer.

Also, don't forget to buy non-Nestle candy this Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.