Saturday, October 22, 2011

Friday Fill-ins

1. Old me would let ideas eventually fade away; new me would go out there and implement the ideas.

2. I'm not happy with the way things are, so I'm taking responsibility.

3. So...in a way I'm turning over a new leaf.

4. And new beginnings are fun, right?

5. The big difference is that I'm researching the ins and outs of owning a business and looking at the logistics of all that.

6. Because I want to do what makes me happy.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to Halloween birthday party for one of Margaret's friends, tomorrow my plans include _playing soccer with the kids (we've promised Margaret) and going minimalist on our boxes and boxes of stuff and Sunday, I want to speak at this event about how breastfeeding prevents breast cancer and what the options are for a survivor or fighter when it comes to breastfeeding!



I've started a couple of posts this week, but I end up trashing them because I'm just not into it.

A couple of evenings in a row this week, McKay has had to remind me to be nicer to the kids. It makes me wonder if I'm really the best person to be home with them. He's the one with infinite patience. If there were an interview for the stay at home position, he'd beat me out in qualifications for sure.

And then that leads me to wonder if I should pursue a career. There's my plan B career, which is math-related and lucrative. That sort of soul-sucking thing. I really don't want to. It's plan B for a reason. NOT my plan A, but my anxiety part of me thinks I should take some of the exams and get that under my belt just in case.

And then there's the thing I really really love, but I'm intimidated by the industry: knitting and designing. But I think I'm going to step more into that soon. Of course, everything's working against me. I can't find my knitting notebook! I have a pattern written down in there that I need to write up and turn into a pdf. CANNOT FIND IT.

So I think this weekend, I'm going to go through everything and declutter the house. Less stuff = more likely to find my notebook and less mess for the kids to make.

Also, this week, we bought a play kitchen from Craigslist. The kids love it and the house is full of play food right now. We need to figure out how to control that mess as well. Also, I have boxes of baby clothes and maternity clothes. Since a new baby is not in our plans for the foreseeable future, I'm tempted to get rid of all of that. What do you think?  I have already limited the baby clothes collection to 7 outfits per size, but even those take up space.

I finished the kids' costumes. Margaret's a butterfly and Isaac is a bumble bee. And I'm wearing a green shirt with fake flowers sewn on it. I have strategically cut away part of the shirt it so I can nurse my butterfly and bee: they can get "nectar" from the flowers! Pictures will be forthcoming. Yay breastfeeding-friendly costumes!

Also, I love the Occupy Movement. It's definitely wrong that people are without money, healthcare, homes, and jobs when corporations aren't paying any taxes. There have been tensions in Occupy Oakland and Occupy SF, and so I can't actually go down and occupy. Risking arrest while I have small children isn't judicious. But I can knit! There is a Ravelry group dedicated to knitting hats and other warm items for Occupiers as the weather gets colder.

So that's what has been on my mind. Halloween! Knitting! You can say I've been keeping myself occupied. Haha!

5 comments:

  1. Hello! I have been a follower for quite awhile but have never commented. But I felt like I had to when reading your post this week. Sometimes when my husband gets home and reminds me to be more patient with our kids I have the same feelings about maybe I'm not meant to stay at home with them. But you have to remember he HASN'T been home with them all day. Chances are, if he was home with them all day, every day, he wouldn't be quite as patient with them by evening time.

    Reading your blog it's quite obvious you are a great mother so you don't need to be so hard on yourself! Some days/weeks are just harder than others.

    Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany4:18 AM

    What an awesome costume idea for you and the kids! You shouldn't doubt your creative side, the items you knit are beautiful. Have you ever considered doing both your Plan B and Plan A career options? As in, doing Plan B for awhile could help to fund Plan A? Either way, I'd imagine some of your lack of patience with the kids is maybe because you need something more outside of the home to challenge you. Every family has to do what is best for them, and there is nothing wrong with stay at home dads (I should know, I had one!)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say the same as the first commenter. It's easy to say "be patient" when you are the one who hasn't been with them all day. I had to have a heart to heart with my husband a while back because of similar comments. He kind of snapped at me one night when my daughter, yet again, bumped her head while she was playing on my lap, "You need to be more careful with her." Ouch! I told him, "You are only seeing these few incidences, which are totally normal for a fidgety toddler. You don't see all the times I save her from getting hurt throughout the day."

    ReplyDelete
  4. What about Project Pigeon Hole? I've been looking forward to that for years... Is that still in the works? *B

    ReplyDelete
  5. Summers Camp- it's really on the back burner. It's hard to work on it in California and it would be lovely if I could work on it as part of a thesis or dissertation. Maybe I'll go back to school and use PPH for it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.