Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Target Nurse-in

This morning, I participated in the Nationwide Target Nurse-in. I was at the Emeryville Target since it's the closest one.

The link about the nurse-in above has a FAQ about it. I went for a couple of reasons. First, was solidarity. Breastfeeding women should not be harassed or segregated from the public and I wanted to stand against the bullying Michelle Hickman experienced.

Also, I wanted to stand against Target's corporate breastfeeding policy. On one hand, it's great that they have a corporate policy: it means that breastfeeding is something they've thought about in upper management. That's great! But what's not great is the policy itself, which I pulled from here.

"For guests in our stores, we support the use of fitting rooms for women who wish to breastfeed their babies, even if others are waiting to use the fitting rooms. In addition, guests who choose to breastfeed discreetly in more public areas of the store are welcome to do so without being made to feel uncomfortable."

Fitting rooms are great for moms who want that. I don't believe it's a workable solution for all instances: for a baby whose mom is in a long checkout line, for when there are no dressing rooms available, for children who aren't going to nurse longer than 10 seconds (like mine).

The other hot button issue is the word "discreet." What is that supposed to mean? I personally know someone who gets unnerved by breastfeeding even if it's under a blanket, in a separate room, with the door closed. Just knowing that there's a mouth on a nipple is too much for them. And for me, just nursing where I am is more discreet than going up to someone and asking for a dressing room, drawing attention to myself, and having to put my cart in a corner and hoping that no one takes it while I'm in there. Plus I'd be in and out of that dressing room every 2 minutes for 20 seconds each time. Not feasible and not conducive to shopping and giving them my money either.

This is what I look like breastfeeding in Target, for reference:


The other big thing: for some reason Target thinks they get to supersede the law. In many states, breastfeeding women are protected from indecent exposure laws in public and private. Period. Expecting women to hide in a dressing room or be "discreet" is contrary to the current provisions of the law. It's discrimination. And it's wrong.

So I went to Target today to support breastfeeding moms and to say, "Hey Target, your breastfeeding policy is not enough."

And here are some pictures!

Tandeming.

McKay representing supportive partners everywhere.

Nursing only Margaret.

Nursing only Isaac in the mei tai.

Our group gave flowers and a thank you card to the manager of Target to say, "Thanks for managing a store that hasn't had breastfeeding issues!"

A wide shot of some of the group. Couldn't get everyone in.

And some Target breastfeeding humor at Mama Is Comic.

And in the next day, Annie at PhDinParenting will be sharing a video with some pictures from nurse-in locations across the United States. I'll link it for you all.

Fun fact: It was 3 years ago that I was in Palo Alto for the Facebook nurse-in.

5 comments:

  1. That is so cool. I wish I could have participated. Alas, work and a recently weaned toddler didn't cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your photos from the Nurse-In! And Annie did a great job with the video, too.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, good for you! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband was pissed when he heard about that Target doing that. He knew the policy even though he's only just recently started day side. Though he didn't say the discreetly part. He just yelled at the tv that women were welcome to breastfeed at Target where ever they wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a father whose wife nurses in public I say kudos. I just found your blog today for the 1st time. What an inspiration. I can only hope people will someday find my blog as useful and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.