Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Fill-ins and update

1. When I looked out the window this morning the sun was shining and the fog was clear.
2. My blogging ennui doesn't make sense to me.
3. Remind me to actually plan my nursery lesson earlier than Friday next week.
4. Dreaming is something I love to do!
5. TP is "vulva" according to Isaac. When I ask Margaret if she'd like me to wipe her vulva after she goes potty, I also grab some toilet paper at the same time. Now Isaac associates the two!
6. I cleaned the refrigerator recently and I found some leftovers from New Year's.
7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to pizza night, tomorrow my plans include laundry and running and Sunday, I want to knit and write!

Ennui. That's a good word for it. For the past two weeks, I simply haven't felt like writing. I had writing projects I had to do: guest posts for other blogs, small updates to Mutual Approbation, and some very important emails with people I can't talk about. I sat down and forced myself to write all these things, but I couldn't shake the haze my brain was in when I tried to write. And looming in the background was an invitation to a writing group.

This writing group intimidated me. It was being set up by an editor. A real one. Who's edited books. That I've read.

So I forced myself on Tuesday to spend the afternoon writing a two-and-a-half page memoir piece. Miraculously, both children took naps so I was given a couple of hours to myself. Wonderful! Of course, as soon as I finished the piece I decided to no longer pursue it and toss it, but I brought it to the writing group anyway.

And talk about more intimidation, as everyone introduced themselves, there were writers who had been published, who were getting feedback on cover letters to publishers, writing screen plays, novels, the whole shebang. And me?

"I write on a lot of blogs and I brought something that I don't even want to pursue."

They asked me about what sorts of things I would like to pursue publishing.

Um? Nothing? Well, I want to publish more knitting patterns, but I don't know if reading, "K1, p2tog, K to end" was something I could really get feedback on.

My little piece was well-received, though. And that surprised me. I'm very self-conscious about my writing despite the fact that I regularly throw up blog posts on the Internet. They gave me ideas of where to go for publishing what I had written or where to go next if I want to explore adding on to it.  I left with a mental list of writing I had been meaning to do, but had forgotten. Maybe I'll have something for next time.

I don't have a real direction for my writing; I'm just writing because I have ideas, but I don't have any clue on what sort of venues to seek out for publishing. And I'm not sure if I want to publish.  I already have a couple of big projects in the knitting section of my life that are going to take a huge portion of my energy.

We'll see. It was fun, though.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing to write about? When I first met you you had some big and awesome writing aspirations. You also write very well on this blog. Perhaps this is Heaven's way of helping out with those Aspirations.


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.