Friday, February 10, 2012

A Greener Nursery Class

I think I've mentioned before that I teach the nursery at church. Because the kids are between 18 months and 3 years of age, we have a snack every week. My eco-conscience dreads this. Disposable products for 15 kids every week? Even after this idea I'm about to share, I'm still leaning towards bringing in reusable products; my eco-conscience is that strong.

But a temporary solution was this:

Coffee filters as bowls. The coffee filter seen here is holding an orange and muffin just so you can get the idea.

Coffee Filters are really really thin: so you aren't using a lot of "product" each serving (compare to a paper plate or even napkin). You can compost them or recycle them. And if you get non-bleached ones, they earth is even happier! No dioxin in the manufacturing!

They are perfect for holding little crackers and snacks. And for you thrifty people: you can get a pack of 200 for a dollar or two. Not bad.

So if you also have to dish snacks out to a nursery or day care or class or party or your own kids, think about using coffee filters instead of full-blown paper plates.

Or reusable plates. Those work too.


  1. I'm cracking up at the reaction of some LDS parents of [gasp] coffee filters at church. I think it's awesome! Great idea!

  2. Coffee filters are awesome for that. Totally perfect. I'm glad you thought of it!

  3. What a great idea!!! I was just happy when the nursery in our ward started serving healthy snacks instead of junk food snacks!!!


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.