Saturday, May 05, 2012

This Week in Homeschooling

Last Saturday we went to the We are Women March in Sacramento. Isaac's sign says, "My mom is a person and so is yours," and Margaret's says, "My body, my choice," which is a common mantra in our home. That and "his body, his choice, he doesn't want to wear his jacket right now," and "Isaac, Margaret doesn't want you touching her right now, her body, her choice." At the rally, one of my favorite signs was from a little girl, "Misogynists are Poopooheads."



We went to the park on May Day and the kids made baskets for Beltane and gathered flowers in them.

We also made peanut butter and jelly pinwheel cookies and the kids helped me measure and add ingredients and follow directions. These are easy: make peanut butter cookie dough, roll out like cinnamon rolls and spread jelly all over the rolled out rectangle. Curl up the dough (like cinnamon rolls), refrigerate for 6+ hours and then slice up and cook like cookies.

We also took a trip to the dentist. Here is Margaret posing in the waiting room.

On the way home from the parks this week, I listened to Margaret count up as high as she could. She would get to 67, 68, 69 and then go back to 30, 31, 32. Because she seemed to really enjoy counting, we made a hundreds chart. I made up the boxes and told her we would count all the boxes. She said the numbers as I wrote them in the boxes. All the multiples of 10 are in blue. She learned more clearly that there is a number between 12 and 14 (she tended to forget 13!) and also the difference between "50" and "15." We're going to keep the chart up because she likes to look at it and point and count.

And this morning the kids went to a party and got to practice some hand/eye coordination.


Because last week's library trip was very homeschooling-intensive and we are still reading and re-reading some of the books, this week's trip was more on the "light" side. On the homeschooling front, I checked out Do Animals Dream? by Joyce Pope and The Owl and The Pussycat by Edward Lear. Isaac chose All Aboard! A true train story, and Margaret chose another Big Adventures of Majoko and a "how to draw manga" book. 

4 comments:

  1. Im really enjoying your homeschooling posts. Keep 'em coming!

    I have a question for your Inquisition Monday posts. How does your "my body, my choice" idea work during diaper changes? I love the idea and I've started saying similar things to Brayden, but sometimes he freaks during diaper changes and doesn't want me to wipe him. Have you dealt with that? What would you recommend? On the same note, are there any children's books you would recommend that reinforce the "my body, my choice" idea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Megan's question, I've wondered that as well. On the days where I try to implement that, well, those are the days that Ava stays in the same poopy diaper for hours and hours until she's so sore she brings me a diaper and wipes.

    And I love your number chart, I'm going to make one for our summer schooling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how big Margaret is getting! Shes sooo grown up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to steal your "my body, my choice" line. We started with that concept when I was pregnant and Dea wanted to sit on my belly or other painful things, but now she'll scream "MY BODY!!!" at you if you try to remove her from an unproductive situation or anything of that sort. I think adding the "my choice" part will make it less of a freak out thing and more of a respect thing. Hopefully. :-P

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.