Monday, June 04, 2012

Weaning Party

We had a weaning party for Margaret. And by "weaning party" I mean that I baked some cupcakes and took them to a regular park day and called it a party. Because I'm awesome like that. I let Margaret pick the day and we put it on our calendar and each day as we crossed off the day, she knew the weaning party was coming up.

Since then, Margaret has only asked to nurse once and all I had to say was, "Remember your weaning party?" She does ask to cuddle to fall asleep and will request a song or two, but she's been falling asleep mostly on her own anyway. She gets thirsty at night, so we have a water bottle handy and that's that.

I thought I'd share a couple of other weaning party ideas I've heard of in case someone is looking for ideas.

I have one friend who took her daughter and daughter's friends to Build a Bear. At Build a Bear, you can choose "big" animals and "baby" animals, and the weaning girl chose a mommy and a baby (and accessories of course) and I think the idea was that instead of the girl nursing, the baby animal could nurse from the mommy one. Not sure if that's how the girl played with the animals, but it's a cute idea.

Another friend shared with me that a friend of hers (oh, friend of a friend!) made weaning cookies with her kid and over the first few days when the child would ask to nurse, the mom would say, "Let's go have a weaning cookie!" instead to redirect the child. I think that's pretty clever, too.

Have any other weaning party ideas?

I did make sure to get a couple of nursing pictures the day before the day of weaning. I'll share them in the future.

ETA: A video! I took it the day before her weaning party. It's a little shaky because it was done on my phone. And for understanding the video, we call nursing, "breast" or "getting breast."



In the video, I forgot to ask her what breatmilk tastes like, so I asked her later and her reply was, "Ice cream!"

9 comments:

  1. What a sweet 4 year old! And cupcakes at the park sounds perfect. I can't wait to have a weening party when my 2 1/2 year old gets close and is nearly done but I don't see it happening soon. How many times a day/week did she nurse there at the end? Also, I love that she said your milk tasted like ice cream. I wish my daughter could articulate what mine tastes like to her but she can't yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was nursing a couple of minutes before bed and a little around 5-5:30 in the morning when she woke up thirsty. Basically it was a thirst thing and that was easily resolved. :)

      Delete
  2. I love how she obviously love LLL! Miss Margaret, you express yourself so well and I love your accessories. Great video and great ideas! If(when) I have my 4th child, I'm going to use some of these ideas, cause the man does NOT get to decide when "breast" ends anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The video is so cute! I wrote about this recently, after I made a photo story book for my son about his breastfeeding journey: http://www.anktangle.com/2012/05/celebrating-weaning.html It's a real hit around here—he asks to read it almost every day! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting ready to do a weaning party with Dio. He nurses really infrequently, maybe once every few days at most, and I'm starting to feel that I'd rather be done. Well, to be honest, I don't have particularly strong feelings about it any way, but since it's almost nonexistant I'd rather be done, you know? Hmmmm....

    When I asked my kids what my milk tasted like, they always said, "like breastmilk!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know about the "let's just be done" thing. I like moving on to the next phase.

      And the "ice cream" response was a one time deal. I tried asking her the same question in front of McKay to show him how cute she was and her answer was, "Milk!" So yeah...

      What I really wish she did was draw pictures of nursing. I've seen some bloggers share pictures that their kids drew of nursing and Margaret's never been into that. Oh well!

      Delete
  5. She is SO dang cute!!! What a great idea to have a weaning party! You may have answered this already, but what brought you to the decision to wean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on being a mom who could provide wonderful breastmilk and love for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want to do this, kind of, but maybe not. My youngest is turning 5 in August. He said he would stop when he turned 5, but I think he is starting to get a sense that 5 is coming up soon, so he revised it to 6. About half the time when he asks I don't want to nurse, but about half the time I absolutely love it. I think if I had a younger nursling, I would totally be done with him. But it is hard to think that this could be IT, FOREVER. I want to have more children, but there are no guarantees.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.