Tuesday, August 07, 2012

World Breastfeeding Week 2012

So... I didn't blog much this time. It's a little unusual for me, but I think my previous blog-inhibiting prenatal depression didn't totally go away.

There's been a lot about breastfeeding lately and I wanted to highlight a couple of stories.

First is the hullabaloo about New York's new "Latch On NYC" initiative. Jay Gordon wrote an article clarifying the initiative's efforts- read it.

I also wanted to mention that comic artist, Heather Cushman-Dowdee, who had been posting her favorite breastfeeding comics on her Facebook page was banned for 24 hours due to an illustrated nipple. An illustrated nipple. Let me explain: that is a drawn circle inside another drawn circle. I considered changing my profile pic to a circle within a circle for solidarity, but I'm kind of loving my current picture. Jodine Chase puts the offending comic next to a new "more offensive" comic Cushman-Dowdee created as a response. I love it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.