Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Pregnancy Update

It's been a while since I've had a pregnancy update. I am seeing a midwife, but like I said in my last post, I'm not sure if I'll call her, or really when to call her. Also, I'm huge. In fact when I last saw the midwife when she looked at me she said, "Are you sure you have your dates right? Was your last period a normal period?" Then she measured me and yeah... my dates are spot on. I'm measuring only a week ahead, which is normal and does not mean I'm off by a month. It just means I look like I'm due tomorrow, but tomorrow is still the fall and not the winter, so nope.

Check me out on the bike:


As you see, my belly is bigger, as is my butt. I store my breastmilk there. McKay thinks it's so that I don't fall over forward with the weight of my belly. Have to balance that out!

And Sunday night was... fun, if you call Braxton Hicks fun. I had some swelling in the evenings this past weekend, due to the fact that I'm not good at staying hydrated when my schedule isn't my every day routine. Then Sunday night came and I had 4 hours of Braxton Hicks every 2-3 minutes: the kind where you have to reposition yourself and breathe through them. The kind that if I hadn't been pregnant before, I might wonder if I was going into pre-term labor. In fact, even the natural-birth-friendly birth course we're taking says that if you have contractions like that for longer an hour to call your midwife/doctor. But I wasn't. First, I had this with Isaac. Totally normal for me, especially if I have something over my abdomen like a tight waistband or seat belt. Second, I'm not in the "ok to have a baby" window yet and with my history of keeping babies in for ridiculous amounts of time, I pretty much doubt anything sooner than 41 weeks as being "real." In fact when I went into labor with Isaac, I didn't think it was "real" for a couple of hours. And he was 9 or 12 days past 40 weeks, depending on your favorite way to count gestation.

I share this because having strong BH contractions (does it count as prodromal labor?) is a variation of normal for me. It's not always a cause for concern. It can be, but it's not always. Sometimes your body just likes to be extra ready for birthing your baby. Maybe this means I'll have a fast labor this time. Isaac's was only 5.5 hours. Shall I aim for 3-4?

No strong BH since then, just the regular kind. Lots of walking a busing the past couple of days. Tomorrow is a big biking day for our errands. Exercise is happening, hydration is happening, gestation is happening.

4 comments:

  1. I found that my BH happened when I was dehydrated and my midwife confirmed the two are linked. Are you getting enough water?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had BH like that one day. My midwife suspected a UTI, but no, it was just nothing but stress ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the picture-you look very happy and strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and I thought of you when I read this book!
    http://www.sallyseashell.com/2012/12/everyday-bicycling-how-to-ride-bike-for.html
    I'm sure you've read about Emily Finch. I SO want to be a car-less family, but we live in the most biking-unfriendly city in the U.S. Kudos to you!
    Just in case your wondering who I am, I am an LLL Leader who used to live in Utah, now back home in Hawaii. I like to catch up on your blog from time to time! Aloha nui loa!

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.