Tuesday, February 12, 2013

One Month

So Linda's a month old today! She started smiling a little over a week ago and has had bigger smiles since this past weekend. I call her "Grumpy Baby" not because she's my most fussy baby to date (though she is), but because she has a crease in the bridge of her nose that makes it look like she's grumpy even when she isn't. It's like Grumpy Cat- I'm sure Grumpy Cat is a perfectly happy cat, but you wouldn't know because he just looks grumpy no matter what.

As of Saturday, she is 12 pounds, 5 ounces. The extra couple of pounds has rounded her out nicely and I think she looks more like a baby now. She has somewhat beady eyes, which is kind of cute except when she looks at me in the dark... then they are kind of creepy.

May I say I am so glad to be on this side of labor? I look back at Isaac's and Linda's labors and at only 2 hours in, I was thinking, "I can't do this anymore." Early on with Linda's thoughts like, "Can't we put this off another few days?" or "Can I just skip today and go straight to having a baby tomorrow?" "How do I get out of my body so I don't have to do this?!" happened. I mean, early labor is exciting, "I'm going to have a baby!" but about 20 minutes later, it's not exciting any more. There are only so many ways to get a baby out of your body and none of them are particularly appealing.

I say this because I've heard people imply that I must have a high pain threshold or my labors must not be that bad. No. And no. I don't have babies and then turn around and say, "Let's do it again!" Well, I did after Margaret, but I think that the resulting lack of sleep from 2 days of labor made my brain a little loopy. And I've heard people mention how empowering homebirth is. And it wasn't disempowering, but I'm not running around suddenly more empowered than I was 2 months ago. Sometimes a birth is just a birth. And it's sometimes something you just want to endure so you can get out of the fog and into regular life 20 years later. I look forward to that day. And I kind of dread any possible laboring days in the future.

Life here has been as "regular" as it can be. The kids aren't getting out much because McKay isn't as fearless as I am about biking 3 miles with kids in the trailer. And except for busing, I won't be doing a lot of travelling with the kids myself until April because our bike has some hold ups. Speaking of busing... I've updated my commute miles on the right side of the blog. I'm sad that I won't get to add any biking miles over the next couple of months. The walking miles are solely commute-related. If I walk to get to the bus stop or run an errand, the miles count. If I'm "going for a walk" they don't count. I'm curious to see how many car miles I'm replacing. Also, those numbers are solely mine and don't include McKay's commute.

Things that are occupying my brain lately:

  • My organic chemistry and personal finance classes.
  • I have no clothes that fit me that aren't falling apart (so many holey jeans!) and I want to go shopping, but I'm limited in travelling options. Maybe I'll just hit up the local Goodwill, despite their ridiculous overpricing.
  • I signed up for a mini-triathlon in April. Now I need to hurry up and heal so I can hurry up and start training.
  • I feel so guilty that I'm not working on my 3 year plan more. I'm in the middle of one art project, but should really be working on my book. Of course... the art project is "due" mid-March, so I really should be working on it. I feel split.
  • Mormon feminism. Because really, when am I not thinking about that? Also, if you're into Catholic feminism and women's ordination, check out this great video. It made me cry.
  • I need a haircut.
It had been over 4 years since I saw Jane@Seagullfountain, but she's going to be moving closer to us soon. She was in town last week and we got to visit:

We went to a birthday party on Saturday at a park. Swings!
Babies in party hats!

And here's Isaac playing while Margaret was at science class.

All the kids on Linda's 1 month birthday. Thumb smudge! I am not that great at taking photos. 


  1. Funny...I didn't know that you and Jane knew each other!

    I totally get what you mean about birth not necessarily being empowering. It's more that its lack of disempowering-ness (how's that for a word) made it great and fantastic. Well, that was sure not a lucid sentence I just wrote!

    1. We *know* each other via Internet. I think she ran into my blog from your blog. And then we followed each other on Twitter and met at a Twitter meet up when Margaret was a baby. So... we sort-of know each other.

      And yes- I think it being not disempowering is a great thing. I know that it's not like that for everyone.

  2. I totally get what you're saying in the whole "back to life in 20 years" part. I know I should be adoring my small children as they are now, but a big part of me is excited for even 5 years from now when they're not so needy and more self-sufficient.

    As for the clothes shopping, couldn't you get one of those cars you sometimes use? The ones that you rent hourly?

    1. I could. It's always a possibility, but it also means more installing and uninstalling of carseats. I try to do that as few times a week as possible. But I could, when it gets to the point that I have to go outside more and I can sit at home in lounge pants. :)

  3. Have you been to Thrift Town? I shop at the one in El Sobrante and they have GREAT deals (stuff is literally .99, 1.99, 2.99, etc). I know you're in Oakland but it's only about a 20 minute drive at the most. They also send coupons in the mail once in a while. Once I discovered Thrift Town I never went to Goodwill again.

    1. Oh I have been there, but it was only once. It was awesome, except I went on a busy day and had to park 3 blocks away. I should go again. I think there's a coupon in the Chinook Book for them. I hear the Thrift Town in the city is good too (though more picked-over).


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.