Saturday, March 23, 2013

In which I become a diet freak and I'm really sorry about that

By "diet" I mean food-I-eat. I don't mean not eating.

Linda is my fussiest baby to date. I've always wondered of cutting out dairy would help with my babies' fussiness, but it wasn't until this time that I actually did it. I probably should have with Margaret- she had regular projectile vomiting. But she was gaining weight and was fine generally. You know, when she wasn't fussy.

I figured a two week trial wouldn't hurt. I didn't expect it to do anything. After all, my babies grew out of most of their fussiness by 12 weeks. Would I really be able to tell if she improved because of my diet or if she improved simply because she got older? I'm not sure. And I'm still not sure.

What I do know, however, is how I felt. While I was off dairy, I had energy. I could multitask. I could juggle multiple projects in the same day! And I didn't crash after church.

Once Sunday I asked McKay, "Why am I feeling like crap?" and he respond, "You always feel like that Sunday nights." How perceptive. I didn't even notice, but for months now (years?), every Sunday evening I crash. Even if church was fabulous and I had a great time, I crash and I hate the world all evening. It's extremely predictable.  But off of dairy, not only did I enjoy church but I came home and was still happy and loved life and didn't hate the world! It's magic!

Later that week was the Relief Society birthday dinner and I tried dairy. Ice cream, cream, butter, cake. It was yummy!

The next day? CRASH. I did a little work: laundry. But then I spent the rest of the day on the Internet and I just couldn't get myself to do anything.

This was not what I was expecting when I went off dairy. I'm rather sad that I probably can't have ice cream unless I want to hate the world again. But I really liked being happy and doing all the things. So I'm off dairy again. I think it's a good move for me, and if I can get the kids off dairy, it'll probably clear up Margaret's congestion. Also, rumor has it that going off dairy relieves acne. I won't get acne until my cycles start up again, so it's too soon to tell if that'll happen.

Now I want to be clear that I'm not saying, "Get off milk! It'll cure your depression!" I know everyone's bodies and lives are different and no one thing is going to be the solution for everyone. On the other hand I really do want to shout, "Look at me! I'm happy and productive and all I had to do was quit eating dairy! It's a miracle!"

And that's how diet freaks are made.

When I first went off dairy I told a friend at church who is dairy-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free. I was hoping she'd join me in my lack-of-ice-cream lament. But she didn't. Her reaction was, "Don't you feel great!?" At the time I was caught off guard. Now I want to pick her brain for recipes and maybe I'll even try gluten-free in the future. She's right! I do feel great!

So yes. Go off dairy! It'll change your life! But also, if you don't, I understand. Ice cream is great stuff. And chocolate. And cheese. And butter and cream.

6 comments:

  1. The list of items you have in your blog also all sound like sugar items ... so, do you think it's dairy or sugar that's improving your outlook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did stop eating a lot of sugar, but not all. I discovered that peanut butter Oreos are dairy-free. Plus since they have peanut butter, I can pretend the extra protein is healthier. Haha! So I was still having sugar, though a lot less.

      I had a down day yesterday, so I know it's not a cure-all, but life is a great deal better. I'll have to try sugar-free in the future once I get used to dairy free. It's hard not to get pizza. We have pizza every Friday. But hummus is a good thing and makes a decent pizza.

      Delete
  2. Ice Cream is great stuff, but coconut milk ice cream is pretty great too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try that! We've been having fun with all the other milk varieties: almond, flax, coconut.

      Delete
    2. I've heard of delicious puddings and ice creams made from avocado and bananas as a base.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you (and Linda!) are feeling good!

    I had two doctors (an amazing naturopath and a chiropractor) tell me to drop the dairy when we were struggling with infertility, before we knew I have emdometriosis. My husband is autistic and he eats mainly dairy, wheat and processed junk food, so we did try dairy-free for a month in Fall 2007. I didn't do well - I need milk to function. I think DH could really benefit from dairy-free, but like some other people with autism, he's totally addicted. He's an adult, so I can't force him. I wish he would make better decisions about his helth and well-being.
    I am really glad dairy-free is working for you! Is Linda feeling better?
    (Twitter.com/betttina)

    I will second Arual - chocolate pudding made with an avocado is pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.