Saturday, April 13, 2013

Stylin' on the Bike

Did you know bike fashion blogs existed? I didn't until recently. Here's a SF-based one for you to peruse. Just like in regular fashion blogs, bike fashion bloggers take pictures of themselves dressed up to go biking! How anyone has enough clothes to fill up a whole blog is beyond me, but they are fun to look at.

If you're interested in bike fashion feminist reading, check out this post at Take the Lane.

It seems that bike fashion blogs are trying to send the message that you can bike how you want to and you don't need lycra to be a cyclist.

When I first came across these blogs I thought, "Well, of course you don't need special clothes to bike! Who would think that?!" You see, I had bike a lot as a kid and no kid puts on lycra to bike to her piano lesson! She puts on her jeans and stuffs her piano books in the mesh bag and rides! Why would I be any different now?

I wouldn't. So that's what I do. Bike with my regular clothes. However, I did learn recently about taking a little thought to what I ride in.

I have some pants and they are wide-legged. I'm sure you know where I am going with this. On a ride this Thursday my pant leg got caught by my chain. Luckily the pants are still intact, but have a little bike grease on them.

That's when I finally made the connection to something I came across about bikers rolling up their pant legs on some bike blog I ran across lately. Bikeyface, maybe? Now I get it! I have been biking regularly for over a year and finally made the connection that maybe I should roll up my pants like all the other bikers. So at the next light, I stopped and rolled up my pant leg. Fortune had it that these pants had little buttons for rolling them up. Yay!

Because this concept was new to me, I paid special attention to the bikers around me as I finished my trip. I saw two other cyclists on my route: one had his pant leg rolled up as well and the other had his pants tucked into his socks. So I guess I'm the odd one out here not realizing that bike chains are brutal things. Oops! I wonder what else I'm not "getting" about riding bicycles...

I don't always bike without my kids, but when I do, I have one pant leg rolled up.


  1. Thanks for the mention!
    I had so many clothes, I pretty much had to start a fashion blog.
    Being a serious thrifter + a fashion designer meant I could always get lots of clothes for cheap. For, you know, research purposes ;)

  2. I don't bike much, but I remember seeing someone with their pant leg rolled up years ago. And, in an old black and white movie I saw a character use a little cuff, sort of like a bracelet, that held his pant leg in place so it wouldn't get caught.

    1. Oh yeah! I was out this morning and saw a man use a florescent strip (rope?) around his leg. It's a thing. Who knew?!


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.