Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Pride 2013

So SF Pride happened again!

This year I was a contingent monitor, which means I had to go to a training to learn the "rules" like "Don't throw things into the audience." Yep, I had the almighty job of keeping a group of Mormons under control at Pride. Rowdy Mormons...

I marched with last year's sign again. Because I can't not. It's too cool.


I tried to come up with another clever sign, but couldn't really. This was the best I could get for "clever" and it was McKay who suggested including the question mark.

And I really wanted to make a sign commenting on the DOMA/Prop 8 SCOTUS decision last week. It got a little wordy, but parades are slow and people have time to read, yes? My friend, Julia held these signs.

My friend Monique came and brought a couple of people from her ward. Tears of happiness happened as we marched in the parade. Monique said we should do this instead of church every week.

 My ward didn't represent like last year, though I did get an email from a fellow Oaklander lamenting that they came to the parade late and by the time she caught up with our contingent, we had finished the parade. Alas!

The parade this year was BIG. I heard it lasted 6 hours. I'm really glad we were near the front. McKay dropped me off at the BART on the way to church and then picked me up from BART on the way home- perfect!

I really loved these signs. There was another I loved that I didn't get a picture of. It said, "In my family tree, I'm the fruit!" By their fruits ye shall know them, yes?

Some more pictures of us getting everything together:


The sign:

Laura of Mormons For Marriage, and family:

It's Reese Dixon and family:

The Chronicle wrote about our contingent the morning of the parade.
And the Daily Kos did a write up afterwards and I'm in the second picture. There are some more Mormon ones at the end of the article.
And when the Associated Press put out their article on the summary of the parades across America on Sunday (New York, Portland, Chicago, etc), we were the featured photo!
The family that held the banner with Mitch are the ones in this video.

Mitch Mayne did a write up, too!

And someone caught us on video and put us up on youtube. I was on the far left and you can't see me until about 18-19 seconds and I'm on the far left of the screen in a green shirt, hat, and my rainbow shawl is around my waist.


In the first few seconds of the video, you hear the shock of the crowd. That was one of the most common remarks I heard, "I can't believe I'd see the day!" There were lots of "Thank you!"s and "Happy Pride!" And like last year, people came up to us to share their stories about how they have Mormon family. Reactions ranged from, "Yeah... we don't talk to them much," to "They helped pay for my wedding! I always tell people to not paint Mormons with a broad stroke."

Last year I remember 3 negative comments yelled from the crowd, there year I only heard one. "Leave the Church!" Haha, good one.

Reese Dixon's sign said, "Gay kids grow up Mormon. I'm here to keep them safe."

So now I'm going to do a little plug for the Family Acceptance Project. The Family Acceptance Project is a project by SFSU and they take peer-reviewed research and make booklets on how to react to a child coming out and how your reaction can affect whether or not they turn to drugs or other risky behavior like unprotected sex, suicide, and even whether or not they want to be parents themselves some day. The Family Acceptance Project even has a pdf that is specifically Mormon-centric, using quotes from LDS leaders and sources. The rejection of LGBT youth by Mormon families and Church leaders shamefully leads to homelessness, suicide, and the tearing apart of families. We need to change that.

And Happy Pride!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this. The video brought grateful tears to my eyes. Thanks to all who are building bridges and standing up for acceptance, love and equality.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.