Friday, February 21, 2014

Criticism on Frozen

I've seen Frozen twice. I was sure that someone would voice the biggest plot problem I saw, but no one has.

First, I totally agree with the, "Who was running the country in the years between the death of their parents and Elsa's coronation?" question. And whoever that was, would that person have been a better "bad guy" than the Duke of Weselton? More motive, for sure. And the Duke is pretty much your clutzy bad guy. Didn't really add anything to the plot at all, could have taken him out easily.

Also, I had a problem with the lack of Elsa's story. She goes from hiding from everyone to accepting herself. It's quite the dramatic change and almost all of it happens off-stage. I wish that had given that story line a little more time. It's hard to make a step like that! Why didn't we get to see how she worked it out for herself?

I also took issue with the way Anna was saved in the end. She saved herself, yes, that's fine I guess, but I think I would have liked it if Elsa had been the one to do the saving. It would fit the plot better: she had a great transformation and now is going to fix those relationships that were hurt! She's the one who (accidentally) harmed Anna, so it seems like she should be the one to commit the act of true love.

But really my issue is Hans. I know the point of Hans is that he is something of a double-timer. But you get no warning for that. And I know that's the point for Anna's sake- she's not supposed to know he's going to betray her, but the audience is allowed to know a little something. It wouldn't even be a lot- just like a minor chord while the camera pans over to him, or a shadowy look, or something. The way the movie stands, you have him being really really accommodating and understanding and all about helping Anna out and keeping things together, then BAM: helpful, fun song guy turns on us and he's willing to let Anna die and kill Elsa. Whoa, whiplash! Where did that come from? Where was the character development for that? You have to give us a little warning, Disney, otherwise it doesn't make sense and doesn't fit.

That's really my biggest beef. Hans. Seriously. A guy willing to commit murder for power has to have a few red flags, right?

Also, I'm totally shipping Elsa and Kristoff. They have common interests, views on life, etc. It makes sense.

So that's that. I wasn't a fan of Olaf and I actually didn't find the songs that particularly catchy the first time I saw the movie. I couldn't have sung any of them for you, at least. But after a few viewings they catch on. Maybe it's because we don't watch commercials anymore; I just wasn't exposed to them prior to the movie.

But it's cute.


  1. Yes, yes, and yes. I was so frustrated when Hans turned out to be a bad guy, not because he was a great character, but because it was a complete surprise to the audience even though we've seen him when Anna wasn't there. I just expect better storytelling, no matter how cute something is. I'm fine with it up until Elsa reveals her powers and runs off, then I want things to go differently and be told differently.

  2. I've enjoyed reading all the commentary on the movie even though I think some people are a little alarmist about the whole thing (not you obviously!) I also wondered about the leadership in the country with the King and Queen gone. I try not to think about that stuff too much though because a little bit of a under-analysis can make movies or stories more enjoyable.

    I have to say, I did see Hans coming when he said "I have 12 older brothers!" The first thing I thought was of English history and how too many sons = not enough inheritance. I figured there must be some reason they brought up his brothers so although I was surprised at his actions later in the movie, I thought a ha, there's the reason he mentioned the 12 brothers. He's Hans Lackland and needs his own fortune. I read somewhere too that he makes a shadowy stare or something during the song, looking greedily over the kingdom. I haven't watched the movie again though. That said, obviously little kids aren't going to be on to him with such subtle clues.

    I have also noticed in a few TV shows and movies lately that quick/young marriages are brought up for drama and the story line but don't follow through. With most couples cohabiting, marriage isn't the path we're "supposed to" be on right now or at least the socially popular choice for characters we love. It's usually hints to me that something different will happen even though they're talking marriage (like Finn and Rachel on Glee.)

    I always love reading what you have to say!


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.