Friday, May 23, 2014


A couple of weeks ago, I had a chance to see a screening of Aftermass: Bicycling in a Post-Critical Mass Portland at PLACE for Sustainable Living. You can see a snippet/preview here.

I came to the movie without a lot of understanding of Critical Mass. I'm knew to bicycling and bicycling advocacy. I had heard Maria Schur's account of stumbling upon Critical Mass in 1992, but that's all I knew.

I really enjoyed following the story. Today while listening to the Sprocket Podcast, I heard Joe Biel described his movie as demonstrating how advocacy and activism need each other for movements to happen. With Critical Mass, advocates who were using committees and votes to transform the bicycling community in Portland claimed that the activists of Critical Mass were hurting the cause, and vice versa. I think that Aftermass gives us an interesting case study in how activists and advocates are both needed for change to happen.

I think it spans causes and in my own Mormon feminist world, I think it's an important discussion and something I've been thinking on lately.

I think if you're interested in activism or advocacy in any cause, it would be good to watch Aftermass. It's not long and Joe Biel is doing a screening tour this summer, so see if it's in your area. The DVD is about $20 and if that's too pricey for you, maybe it isn't too pricey for your local library- I know our librarians love recommendations for new acquisitions!

Oh, and a little selfie with Elly Blue, who I got to meet at the screening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.