Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Life Changes

I think I've hinted that big changes have been on their way. Well, they are. And I've signed a contract this morning assuring that they'll happen.

I think in the last post, I mentioned having occasional existential crises from time to time. I've felt stuck for not having much of a resume and not knowing how to get myself out of that hole.

In fact, a lot of the prenatal depression that I had with Linda's pregnancy was due to the fact that I had signed up for a class that summer and was planning on working on getting out of that lack-of-resume hole, only to find out that I was pregnant and I had no idea how to fit that in with my goals.

After Linda was born, I took some free classes on Coursera: organic chemistry, financial planning, environmental studies, Python. After completing the Python class, I had a birthday (yay 28!) and decided to give myself 2 years to finish up some knitting patterns I wanted to publish and other personal projects. Then when I turned 30, I'd apply for some coding bootcamps or get involved in computer programming in other ways and eventually enter the workforce.

In a particular slump this summer, I decided to just peruse available coding bootcamps and saw that there was one that fit me particularly well. It wouldn't start for a while, I could work out money to pay for it, and I was the perfect candidate! I applied. Then I got an email asking for an interview, so I interviewed. Unfortunately the interview went poorly, almost from the get-go. We just did not mesh.

So I expected the rejection email, but it didn't change the disappointment of actually seeing it in my inbox. There were tears. The hopelessness of never getting out of SAHM-ness was confirmed.

Meanwhile, I had a friend just return from living abroad who had done a bootcamp. She encouraged me to go to a front-end workshop in the city on a Saturday with her. She also sent me information on another bootcamp on a random Friday afternoon. I filled it out just to do something and didn't expect much.

But the next week I got an interview, and this time I knew I had impressed them. I knew I'd get the acceptance email and I was silently panicking on the way home from the interview- so much, in fact, that I took the wrong BART and had to get off and on again to get home.

This particular bootcamp had more complications than the other. Instead of not starting for a while, this one starts in October. Instead of being 10 weeks long, this one is 6 months. Both bootcamps are full-time in the city, M-F, 9-5.

Meanwhile, we were having issues with our homeschool charter and applying for others. Would we have to find an actual school now? Would the daycare have openings for our kids?

Right now the plan is to get a nanny who will take Margaret to her classes and we'll keep homeschooling. That's actually turning out to be cheaper than paying for daycare for the 2 younger kids. I'll still tour some schools and daycares because our nanny of choice won't be able to help us out beyond December. She also can only do a few days a week, so we need to find another part-time nanny for the other days. We did switch homeschool charters and found one which will pay for Spanish classes and maybe even some other classes.

This is where unschooling is great. I wouldn't expect a nanny to do any schooling with my kids; a nanny isn't a tutor! But since we don't have a specific curriculum anyway, then there's no worry about Margaret getting her schoolwork done.

Breastfeeding-wise, Linda is 20 months, so if she nurses less often, she's going to be ok. The biggest concern is my own comfort. After that Saturday workshop in the city, I was in pain! I'm probably going to pump a little during the lunch hour just so I don't get mastitis.

I don't know what's going to happen come January. And I don't know what's going to happen when the course finishes in April.

If you got through all of this, congrats! Here's a picture of Isaac. Aww...

1 comment:

  1. congratulations on your upcoming adventures! fulltime mommy-ness and fulltime school are HARD, but can be done and it's all worth it. i hope you embrace the challenges and accept whatever "your best" for that day may be!


Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.