Saturday, November 08, 2014

November Shmovember

I promised on Twitter that I would do a life update this weekend. So here I am!

I have just completed my third week of the bootcamp. I am keeping my head above water and I think it helps that I've taken programming classes in the past and that my brain thinks in math-y/science-y ways. In fact, a couple of weeks before class started, I took my kids to the park, trying to get as much park time with them as possible before I'd start being gone full-time. I remember watching Linda walk across a bridge at the park and thinking, "I remember that's not a parabola, but a catenary." And then I laughed at myself that even as a SAHM taking my kids to the park, I can't not think about math. It was a sign that I needed to be in tech somehow and reaffirmed the decision to do this coding bootcamp.

Now, while I'm keeping my head above water, I'm still learning lots of things and it doesn't all come easily. I'm still unsure if I'll be ready to be a full-on developer in just 6 months (is that really possible?) but I'm ready to be surprised.

The kids have gotten used to the nanny routine. Because his workplace is just a mile away, McKay goes to work after I've left in the morning and he comes home before I get home, so I don't get to interact with the nannies directly to ask if Linda had a nap and how things went. I'm having to let go a lot of control. McKay has been fabulous in picking up all the slack. He's now doing all the laundry and cooking and kids stuff. To be honest, I feel like I'm not doing much except for grocery shopping and nursing, nursing, nursing. When I get home, Linda wants to make up for our lost time by cluster nursing all evening. This means I can't get any programming done at home and I don't get a lot of knitting time. Alas!

Also on the breastmilk front is pumping at school. The instructors were very accommodating in finding a private room that is not a bathroom for me to pump. I only pump at lunch and only do it for myself. Linda doesn't "need" the milk like an infant would; I pump so that I don't get clogged ducts or mastitis. I do leave the milk in the fridge for Linda to have the next day in a cup at lunch, but she doesn't always drink it. In fact, Isaac is the one who probably drinks more of it. Margaret asked to try it, but decided she didn't like it. Ha!


I use a cheap hand pump that I bought a year ago when I was pumping for an adopted baby. I'm able to get 4-5 ounces in about 10 minutes, which is great success especially considering that I'm 21 months postpartum. Not bad at all! Since Linda doesn't drink it all, I've considered donating it to the San Jose Mother's Milk Bank, but that means having to buy storage bags and I haven't gotten around do doing that.

Other life updates? We put an offer on a house a couple weeks ago, but it was turned down. The owner thinks she can get another 100k for it, which we can't offer. Oh well.

Trick-or-treating by bike! The glowing shawls are knit with reflective thread which is shining due to the flash on the camera.
This weekend we are going to start applying for a kindergarten for Isaac. Margaret is still on wait-lists for schools. I think Isaac will actually have an easier time getting into a kindergarten, which should bump Margaret up on the lists for having a sibling in a school. On the other hand, I'm really liking that Margaret can still homeschool while we are both gone all day. She has a lot of classes and opportunities she wouldn't get in school. If I do get a developer job at the end of this, maybe I'll make enough to hire a full-time nanny and keep homeschooling. And next year, we'll get money for Isaac to take classes. How fun would it be for them to take fun classes together?!
Linda as a cat. And McKay.

I can't see that far in advance, though. Just one week at a time. My plans for NaNoWriMo are going to be unfulfilled because of class. Maybe I'll do it next year. Enjoy the Halloween pictures!

Squid Girl and Spider-man

Also, since I'm not updating much here, you can find me on Instagram and Twitter as TopHat8855. I'm also blogging at the Exponent on the first Friday of each month. Here's yesterday's post. I'll still try to post here when I can. 

1 comment:

  1. Hurray for you figuring things out a step at a time. I'm so glad to hear that things are working out and that pumping is going smoothly. I know you can be a developer in six months, though even in a few years you'll have days of doubt. Keep being awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Please review my blog comment policy here before commenting. You may not use the name "Anonymous." You must use a Google Account, OpenID, or type in a name in the OpenID option. You can make one up if you need to. Even if your comment is productive and adding to the conversation, I will not publish it if it is anonymous.